Let us help you unlock the potential of Totara LMS…
This was essential for us to see the potential of Moodle and Totara and prepare us to use it.Andrew Schlussel, Global Head of Training and Development, MPC
Practical, flexible Totara training courses, delivered on-site at your organisation
We’re here to help you understand and unlock the potential of Totara LMS. Whether you’re a trainer, manager or administrator, you’ll find we deliver up-to-date Totara advice and guidance – plus plenty of invaluable insider tips…
Simply choose one of our standard Totara training courses or speak to us about creating a bespoke training plan that meets your specific needs, and we’ll be happy to deliver your ideal Totara training directly to you at your organisation.
Start by selecting the training you’re interested in:
ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR LEARNING
Create courses and configure activities for assessment, communication, collaboration and sharing content
Totara Course Creator gives you the confidence and competence with essential Totara course functionality to make informed decisions about course design, strategic planning and providing support in your organisation. Starting with course settings and orientation, the programme also covers tools for deploying and signposting content, assessment, communication and collaboration. Totara Course Creator enables you to monitor activity in your courses, along with the ability to manage access to specific course content, track the progress of your learners and to provide learners with digital rewards, as appropriate.
During this course we will cover:
- Course page: Course set-up and layout options including managing blocks.
- Resources: Add and configure the Label, Book, File and Folder resources.
- Assessed activities: Add and configure the Quiz (using a range of popular question types), Assignment and SCORM* activities.
- Collaborative activities: Add and configure the Forum and Glossary activities.
- Other non-assessed activities: Add and configure the Choice and Feedback activities.
- Import: Import activities/resources from one course to another.
- Gradebook: Overview of functionality, and create custom scales for use in graded activities.
- Reporting: Monitor learner activity logs, and track and report on the progress of your learners.
- Badges: Reward learners and allow them to share progress and achievement with others.
- Conditional access: Define criteria within resources and activities to restrict access to specific course content.
*SCORM covers Moodle options and does not extend to creating content in external authoring tools
- Trainers, teachers, tutors, course designers etc. responsible for designing and developing online or blended courses.
- Anyone in a role supporting the above.
- Project managers and entrepreneurs who need to make a rapid assessment of Moodle for their organisation.
Activities are subject matter “neutral” so you may derive equal benefit from our training regardless of your area of subject matter expertise, academic or business sector and the age of your target learners.
Participants should be familiar with:
- Typical navigation features of web-based applications e.g. hyperlinks, buttons, drop down boxes, radio buttons, check boxes;
- The general concepts of files, folders, upload, download, zip & unzip.
- How to enter text into fields and text boxes.
- The broader aims of their organisation.
- Save time and effort: How many more hours/days can you afford to spend on unstructured self-learning? Our carefully designed, hands-on approach helps you identify where and how Totara can support your course design and wider objectives.
- See the bigger picture: We cover a lot of ground in four days. Our clients tell us time and time again that they discover options or approaches they’d not uncovered before.
- Small group dynamic: Learning the software is important, but that’s only part of the story – we want to hear your ideas and challenges too.
“[I enjoyed] The interactive nature of the course – hands on activities and tasks to practice the course content was brilliant – the course itself was also very well organised and the examples well structured and thought out.[It was an] Interactive learning experience which enabled me to utilise the techniques and tool being trained immediately in my own working environment.”
Lisa O’Sullivan – ERP Training Consultant (Arriva)
CORE totara administration
Essential administration for configuring a Totara LMS
- Map an organisational structure to the system using Hierarchies
- Import users, and allocate them to managers and your hierarchies, using Totara’s unique HR Import function
- Build competency frameworks and measure staff performance against them, by linking with courses and your organisational structure
- Create and manage Audiences to provide for automated enrolment
- Create and manage learning plans
- Create and manage sets/sequences of courses using Programs
- Manage recurring training using Certifications
- Create and configure Seminar activities to book classroom or virtual training events and monitor attendance
- Build your own reports from over 50 sources of data, or edit the built-in reports using Totara’s Report Builder.
- Create customised dashboards for your users, to present them with a personalised snapshot of their own – and their team’s – progress
Totara Administrator does not attempt to cover all of Totara LMS’s administrative and performance management features. We recommend Totara Adminstrator as the essential foundation with other features being covered in a bespoke programme based on identified needs. You’re welcome to have your own production site handy (if you have one) to compare your own settings and update if you feel appropriate.
- Aspiring Totara site administrators
- Current Totara site administrators
- Project managers and entrepreneurs who need to make a rapid assessment of Totara
- Support desk personnel offering extended support.
- Individuals who need a holistic, strategic overview of Totara’s capabilities.
This course is designed to be of benefit to non-technical administrators, however, we anticipate it will also be valuable to those with experience of server and system administration who have responsibility for administering a Totara site.
Owing to the wide range of potential deployment scenarios this course does not attempt to cover integration with external systems, the various external authentication or enrolment options, networking between Totara sites, server and infrastructure configuration or web design for customising Totara themes.
Participants should be familiar with:
- How to navigate and upload files
- Typical navigation features of web-based applications e.g. hyperlinks, buttons, drop down boxes, radio buttons, check boxes
- How to enter text into fields and text boxes.
- You will be familiar with at least the basics and concepts of Totara course functionality. This provides useful context for exploration of the various administrative settings and will help with your participation in the second day of the training. Many clients find combining Totara Administrator with our Totara Course Creator course beneficial.
- Save time: Learn about essential functionality with our structured exploration. What you learn would take much longer through self guided discovery and experimentation.
- Less ‘You Tube’: Get a rapid strategic overview of how Totara works. Zero parrots on skateboards guarantee.
- See the big picture sooner: Understand relationships between key areas so that you can take a holistic view of how to match Totara to your needs.
- Identify quick wins on an existing site: Existing administrators tell us they leave the course with new ideas and valuable confirmation about their existing approach.
- Small groups: The opportunity to engage with new contacts or colleagues is always highly rated in participant feedback.
“…we can now see new ways of benefitting from the software and can plan its use appropriately and thoroughly. It will mean that we can use it to its full potential and this has many benefits for our programmes, the training has enabled us to achieve this much more efficiently than had we explored Totara on our own, it also assists our move to Totara to be cost effective.” Research Advisor, The Brooke.
“This course is a fantastic introduction to being administrator of a Totara a site and is crucial to being able to ensure your organisation gets as much as possible out of your LMS.” Community Engagement Advisor, The Brooke.
Our expert Totara training is available on-site:
We’ll come to you, saving you travelling time and costs! Develop your team with our popular hands-on training designed to meet your current and potential future needs.
Features and benefits:
- Available for up to 6 participants
- Totara expert trainers available throughout the UK and beyond
- Onsite training gives you the opportunity to flex within the programme to cater for your specific needs
- Cost effective knowledge and skills transfer for larger in-house groups of participants