St. Helens Council
Council achieves over 1,600 employee certifications within 4 weeks of implementing Totara Learn
St Helens Council had a vital requirement to ensure compliance within it’s organisation. This case study covers the challenges they faced and how Totara Learn was able to meet these objectives within a short time period. We spoke with Anne Kirkman, e-Learning Content & Development Manager at St Helens Council to create this latest case study.
- Like many other organisations, St Helens Council must ensure staff are compliant with Data Protection regulations. The Council needed a solution that would enable them to accurately monitor the compliance of 3,000 employees.
- The new system had to be procured with strict budget restrictions and low running costs.
- Moodle had been used previously but lacked the functionality to manage recurring learning efficiently.
- Totara Learn met these needs and was chosen as the new LMS solution.
- The Council achieved their primary objectives within 5 months of implementation.
- Totara Learn features that helped St Helens Council meet their objectives included Certifications, Reporting and Dashboards, Quiz activity and the HR import functionality.
- Recurring training programmes that certified employees;
- A comprehensive reporting capability;
- Clear team oversight for managers.
- High learner engagement;
- Integration with the bespoke in-house HR system;
- A managed hosting solution;
- Low ongoing general and administration costs.
In December 2016 St Helens Council appointed Totara Learn Platinum partners, HowToMoodle, to deliver a learning system to meet their objectives. HowToMoodle recommended a solution based on the open source platform Totara Learn, in a fully managed, ISO 27001 certified hosting environment, removing the burden of hosting in-house. Totara Learn is distributed under an open source licence so there are no per-user licence fees and the Council benefits from a cost-effective subscription for access to the latest versions.
Totara Learn has been very well received and evidence reaching the Council’s initial objectives is clear:
- Direct access to reports and dashboards reduce the need for the Council’s eLearning team to collate and distribute learner information to managers – previously a time-consuming chore.
- Phase 2 of St Helens’ site development looks forward to an induction training programme for the Council’s new starters. Totara Learn will make it easy to track progress and, based on results so far, expectations are high regarding time and cost savings.
The Council is set to continue their development and success with Totara Learn. The roll out of Phase 2 includes a full HR system integration and the creation of multiple induction programs for selected areas of the organisation. Commenting on the implementation, Anne offers some advice; “It is important that you plan and get as much in place before launch – by knowing what you want at the beginning and involving stakeholders from the ground up gives a much greater chance of the project running smoothly and meeting your objectives”.